Sometimes, you might be unfortunate and find that you noticed your car windshield damage. Parking in a safer area could have possibly averted the harm. Yet, it is important to remember that your windshield can easily get damaged simply because of your actions and neglect, even if you drive and park in a safe area. There is one particular factor that plays a major role in the shape of your car’s glass, and that’s the cleanliness of the glass itself. If there is dirt, such as mud, bird droppings, or dead love bugs, it can ruin the windshield and windows if not cleaned off for a long time. As a result, it is your priority to keep your car clean, particularly your windshield and windows, in order to prevent an auto glass replacement from becoming necessary.
Why Is Cleaning the Glass Important? Clean glass not only helps clear your driving visibility, but it also protects the glass from damage. For instance, if you spend the day at the beach, your car is most likely going to be dusty at the end of your outing from all the sand the wind blew around. Though sand does not seem to be threatening (after all, kids play in it), it is harmful to the windshield. The tiny grains can scratch the glass, especially if you use your windshield wipers to wipe the dusty layer off of your car. The friction caused by the contact ruins the glass in an awful way, forcing you to get an auto glass replacement, which you want to avoid. The same thing can be said of bird droppings. Although unpleasant, for the most part they seem harmless. Yet, leaving them smudged to the glass will only make them harder to remove. They’ll dry up, and then when you do attempt to remove them, they’ll also scratch at the glass. In the end, all this dirt and scratching will weaken the windshield and windows, leaving them susceptible to getting chips and cracks and easily getting shattered. To top it off, having a dirty windshield also means that your windshield wipers are dirty, and this increases the chance of the glass getting damaged.
How to Thoroughly Clean the Glass So if dirty windshields and windows create a hazard, how do you clean them thoroughly and properly to avert having to get an auto glass replacement? Cleaning glass is actually pretty easy if you follow these tips:
- If you have dusty or sandy windows and windshield, then you can easily remove the dirt using a damp microfiber cloth. All you have to do is wipe the glass clear, relying on the microfiber cloth to scrub out any rough dirt stains. What’s wonderful about microfiber cloths is that they are soft and gentle, meaning that they won’t scratch at the car’s glass or paint (if you enjoy washing your car at home and need a safe cleaning cloth).
- If you have bird droppings, it’s important to get rid of them by hand. People tend to use their windshield wipers when on the go to remove these droppings; however, doing so can dirty the wipers and damage the windshield by scratching it. So try to avoid cleaning bird droppings using the wipers. Instead, as soon as you can, soak your microfiber cloth with club soda and use it to wipe away bird droppings. Club soda makes this type of cleaning easy. Then, you can wash the windshield with water and dry it off properly.
- You should clean your windshield wipers on a weekly basis to prevent getting an auto glass replacement. You can do so by going to a nearby gas station and using their free windshield cleaning tools. Pay special attention to the surface underneath the wipers, as that can hide a lot of grime. You can also rinse off the wipers with water to get rid of trapped dirt.
A Few Additional Tips
Washing auto glass isn’t the only task you should do every so often. The following are just as important to do:
- Be sure to replace old windshield wipers when they start to see cracks in the rubber and hear screeching against the glass. Usually, windshield wipers need to be replaced every six months or so.
- Regularly fill up on the windshield washer fluid, since you might need it to clean the glass at some point while you’re driving.
Washing your car and paying special attention to the windshield and windows can certainly help you prevent an auto glass replacement.